Sunday, February 1, 2009

Clarity in Communication

 If marriage has taught me anything, it's that you have to choose your words carefully.  This rule applies more to husbands than it does to wives.  I tend to get in trouble a lot more than my wife does when it comes to word choice.  Husbands need to use a very good filter, while wives seem to have carte blanche on what comes out of their mouths.  This particular story isn't about saying something inappropriate, but is more a commentary on my wife's use of ambiguity.  

The other day we went to Roxberry to get some smoothies.  On the way home we started talking about a whole variety of topics, and out of the blue my wife asked me, "JP, did you get a thing in your thing?"  Puzzled, I looked at her and said "What???"  Becca said again, pointing at her smoothie cup, "A thing, you know, did you get a thing in your thing?"  At this point I start chuckling, because I still have no clue what she's talking about, but she sure does!  As we continued this little discussion, I was finally able to get my wife to "use her words" and ask me if I had gotten an energy boost in my smoothie.  You know, a 'thing in my thing'.  I'm grateful for a wife who loves me and is patient when I don't fully understand what's going on around me.  I just can't wait until we're like 80........

1 comment:

jen hulet said...

What's the matter J.P. dont you know you're supposed to read her mind? Don was laughing so hard at that post, because apparently Becca isn't the only woman who talks that way! love ya!